Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Daughters

" I wish I could save you from anxiety and sorrow. But then - how pink and fluffy and monotonous your life would be! So I wish for you courage and clear thinking, hope and a happy heart. Always."
-Pamela Dugdale-






"Daughters do wonderful things.
Not the wonderful things you expected them to do.
Different things.
Astonishing things.
Better than you ever dreamed."
- Marion C. Garretty. b.1917


" I recall a time in my life during which I was in severe emotional pain. One morning I woke up to find my thirteen-year-old daughter sleeping on the floor beside my bed. When I questioned her about this she quietly told me that she wanted to be near me because she knew I was hurting, but she didn't want to risk disturbing my sleep. The memory of this throughtful expression of her love and concern still brings tears of gratitude eighteen years later" - Barbarab Thomas-

A read this last poem and thought about my own daughter...she often is found sleeping close by me but not exactly for the same reason...she says she just wants to be close to me. She's four turning five...does this mean I have years to go before I get a night when she'll stay in her own room??












Thanks Mom, I have really enjoyed the book of poems for Daughters;
As I am the daughter and sometimes, as I am the mother.









No comments: