Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Book Club




The Peters book club has met a few times now...


The fact that I am now a reader has been recorded in this blog before. I not saying that 'cause I'm ashamed, more shocked if anything. I really appreciate that family here can have something like reading that brings us together on a different level. The more interesting part of the club, even more interesting than the discussion (at least for me) is the variety of books that are recommended each time.


This time around I have read a few books off the list before I have even got the book of choice. This time it is "Fugitive Pieces" by Anne Michaels.




I just broke the 5,500 pages mark of my reading this year which is hard to believe for me. I love it. I love the stories, I love the quiet time, I love zoning out from life for a time to dream and imagine. Actually, there have been a few books this year that I didn't want to dream as real. I wanted the historical fiction book; "The book of Negroes" to be "not historical" at all. The idea that people might have/could have been that awful made me even feel sick. Also, "The Glass Castle", made me wonder if people really don't have common sense sometimes. Could you actually drive in the back of a U-Haul van without seat belts? Then there was, "tuesdays with Morrie", that I absolutely loved. I love the thought provoking questions, the things that make you think about life and who has impacted you...or who you yourself have impacted...and there was this crazy series I read that I won't mention. I can't believe I read it and yet loved the writing and totally got hooked into what was coming next...crazy books with far fetching ideas...yet the story line can make you not want to put it down...


Amazing how stories come alive.




So to all you readers out there, enjoy your books




Our lists: (Some are repeated as people brought them back to the next meeting again)




List One:


1. The Book of Negroes, by Lawerence Hill


2. What is the What, by Dave Eggers


3. The book of the Dun Cow, by Walter Wangerin Jr.


4. Becoming Human, by Jean Vanier


5. The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger


6. Peace Shall Distroy Many, by Rudy Wiebe


7. Snow Falling on Cedars, by David Guterson


8. A Thousand Splendid Sun, by Khaled Housseni




List Two:


1. The Cellist of Sarajevo, by Steven Galloway


2. Exile, by Richard North Patterson


3. Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides


4. Fugitive Pieces, by Anne Michaels


5. Becoming Human, by Jean Vanier


6. tuesdays with Morrie, by Mitch Album


7. Little, Big, by John Crowley's


8. What is the What, by Dave Eggers


9. Sword at Sunset, by Rosemary Stutcliff


10. Wicked, by Gregory Maguire


11. The Road, by Cormac McCarthy


12. The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls


13. Son of Laughter, by Fredrick Buechner


1 comment:

missy said...

I love the book club too! I woke up waaayyy too early this morning to finish The Time Traveler's Wife - and now I'll be heartbroken for the rest of the day!!! It's amazing how much a book can affect you. I think I'll tackle Fugitive Pieces next (even though I'm dying to read Wicked)! So fun reading with you Mel!!