Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas Treats



Christmas is when there are traditions in every family. Some traditions revolve around treats. I love Nuts and Bolts. My mom has always made a gingerbread house with us for as long as I can remember. I must say though, the year we made the chocolate one was my favorite year. Anyways, this year was my first year without my mom here to make it with me. Even though I have been away from her these last two years, she comes just in time to assist me. This year my creation was not as elaborate without her. Mark was very much apart of the whole process which was fun. From the making the dough, cutting of shapes to even deciding on the scene, all the way to choosing the candies and the decorating with the icing. It was fun. The first roof collapsed as the angel on top fell and took part of the roof with her but we fixed it. I would be ashamed to show you all a picture of it, but since it was Mark's creation too, I must be a proud mom.

Some of my other favorite traditional treats are peanut butter fingers, vanilla dipped sugar cookies and poppycock. Why is it that we put all the good treats all at one time of the year? We should spread it out during the year so we don't all get a sugar high at the same time of the year. Just a thought.


There are many traditions in every family. Some having to do with food, some with gifts, or when they're opened, some with celebrations. I love it all. Even family tension could be considered a tradition - think about it...what would a holiday be with a family gathering if someone didn't cause tension at least at some point. Not to be taken the wrong way, nor saying anything about either family I'm involved it, just a thought.


1 comment:

Shelley said...

Ha ha!! Mel, that gingerbread house is terrifying!! Although kudos to you and Mark for being possibly the first family to use wrapped Double Bubble in your gingerbread decorating!

I agree about spreading the treats out year round too! My teeth are hurtin' already!